Happy Day After Thanksgiving! (otherwise known as leftovers day!)

 Today seems an appropriate day to make a post about leftovers, and how to work them into your plan for the week.

 Leftovers are great! Cooking once and eating twice makes life so much easier. Some weeks I plan leftovers. I cook enough rice for two meals or make a big pan of pasta knowing someone will pack it in their lunch for work. I make notes in my plan to remind myself.

 Other times, leftovers appear from some where else, like a holiday, or shared from a friend or family member. Often, these are random bits and amounts that don't make an obvious meal. That is what I deal with after Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers. When I made our plan for the week, I knew we would be bringing leftovers home, so I didn't plan for lunch on Friday, I left that space blank.

All our family know we will gladly take any and all leftovers, so this year after Thanksgiving we brought home:

  • Green bean casserole (one big serving or two small servings)
  • Baked beans (one big serving or two small servings)
  • 6 pieces of fried chicken (had instead of turkey, 2 wings, 1 breast, 2 legs, 1 thigh)
  • 2 rolls
  • 2 ears of corn
  • Gravy (but no potatoes, they all got eaten)

Looking at this collection of food, there is not enough of anything to give everyone a full plate except the chicken, so I am going to have to change the single items into something else. I am going to serve the chicken pieces and turn the rest into a casserole to serve with it.

First I cut the corn of the cob. I hold the cob standing up on a plate and run a sharp knife down the sides to scrape the corn off. Then I am going to mix it into the green bean casserole along with the leftover gravy and a can of mixed vegetables, drained. Leftover rice would be good mixed in too. This can be heated up in the microwave or baked in the oven till warm. If I had leftover stuffing, I would sprinkle that on top before heating up.

Once the casserole is warm, I will serve it with a piece of chicken and half a roll for everyone. I would then plan to send the two wings and baked beans (plus any left over casserole we just made) in someone's work lunch.

So these leftovers made a lunch for our whole family the next day, plus a lunch for one other person later in the week. If I had not had a piece of chicken for each person, I would have taken the pieces I did have, pulled the meat off the bone and mixed into the casserole before warming it up.

Making a plan to use up leftovers is a great way to stretch your food dollars and prevent food waste. Feel free to share in the comments what creative ways you have used leftovers, I am always looking for new ideas!


Comments

  1. Great job recycling leftovers. Many people don't think they like leftovers, but if you make them into something new, they often taste better than if they are simply reheated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Most of our leftovers go to work lunches, but once in a while I plan for leftovers. We missed having turkey leftovers for days this year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment