How this week is going

 Thought I would do an update on how our week is going. It’s been an adjustment, but luckily next week is going to be a little better. At first I didn’t know what we were going to do with all of those snack type foods from the library, but turns out we have been just using them for snacks! They definitely took the edge off if a meal wore off, we usually had a snack before bed.

The only snack food that made it into a meal was the applesauce. It was really nice stirred into the oatmeal and the added craisins made it sweeter.

 The kids weren’t crazy about the beef jerky, but my husband really liked it so he was happy. He stuck to those so everyone else could pick what they want.

The kids had a cheese stick each night before bed with saltines we had in the cupboard.

 We never did get to liking the wow butter, not sure yet what to do with it. I saw lots of cookie recipes using it but I haven’t had time to try yet.

We used the vegetables we had in the fridge from last week to make the vegetable fried rice and in the cabbage soup. I will have to buy some onions next week as we used them all up. We are also out of ketchup and oatmeal. 

Over all, we made it through the week. For Sunday we are going to use the second box of scalloped potatoes with the other can of chili for lunch. For dinner I bought a package of tortillas and we are going to make breakfast burritos with eggs and two of the little containers of salsa and the little chips. We’ll also finish off anything left from the library snacks. Over the week we used up pretty much everything we had in the house. It is kind of depressing to see everything so empty, and I was really wishing we hadn’t used up our emergency meals already, but we made it and no one is the worse for wear. We sold our coffee table/end table set and used the money to get the tortillas and more eggs and have some money for next week. It’s not much though, the people buying used tables are looking for a good deal. But we could sell them and that worked out well. 

Next week we plan to get the library snacks again and to go to the food pantry. I’m trying to keep the attitude that the food boxes are like one of those cooking competition shows and my challenge is to make foods we like out of what I’ve got. Over all, in hind sight, there are a few meals I could have made instead but I think I was just in panic mode. Next week will be better.

Comments