A Handy Video for Making a White (Bechamel) Sauce

I found such a handy video that shows a technique that can be used in many ways!


In this video from Taste of Home, it shows how to make Never Fail Scalloped Potatoes. This is a great recipe/video. But the most valuable part of the video is the beginning where it shows how to make a Bechamel sauce, also known as a white sauce.

 Knowing how to make a white (Bechamel) sauce is the beginning of all kinds of sauces and gravies! I start out with a white sauce when I make homemade mac and cheese, nacho cheese sauce, scalloped potatoes, in a pot pie or casserole.  I trade the milk for chicken broth to make gravy, there are absolutely tons of things that have a base of a simple white sauce. It is actually the first think I teach my kids to make since if they know how to make a white sauce to hold ingredients together, they can make a casserole out of literally anything! Try it out! Once you feel confident making a white sauce, you will be able to wing a lot of dinners using up leftover ingredients, make a cheesy sauce, and make gravies!

Comments