Sorry I'm Late! Monday Menu Planning and Sweet Potatoes

 sweet potato clip art - Clip Art Library

 Sorry I am late this week. We had a some family things come up, but I am back to finish this post and to tell you how excited I am that sweet potatoes are $0.19 a pound! Sweet potatoes are not something I grew up eating, so neither did my kids. But a few years ago, my husband had sweet potato fries at Frisch's and wanted me to see if I could replicate them at home. Well, I couldn't haha. BUT I discovered that sweet potatoes are pretty good, and it turns out they are super healthy! Much healthier than white potatoes, depending on how you fix them. Now, they are not healthier if you smother them in marshmallows, but eating them cubed and roasted, in soup, or mashed with a little butter and brown sugar, they have a much more powerful punch of nutrition. I still mostly buy white potatoes because most of the time they are less expensive but at $0.19 a pound I am seriously about to be stocking up on sweet potatoes! And when I do, I will also be snagging a $0.49 a pound turkey.

 My mom is the one that usually provides the turkey for Thanksgiving, but I am putting one in the freezer for us to eat on later in the winter. I can cook once, we eat what we want, then I pick the meat off the bones and save in meal sized portions to be used in casseroles and soups later. I also boil the carcass for turkey stock and use some and freeze the rest. Nothing goes to waste.

 You store sweet potatoes the same way you store white potatoes, in a cool dark place. I can't feed my family anything that costs 19 cents a pound. Rice, pasta, white potatoes, I literally cannot think of something as cheap as 19 cents a pound sweet potatoes. What a great way to stretch SNAP or a food budget! We are going to be eating them a lot!

 My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is to cube them and roast them in a hot oven. They are like little pillows of goodness! I am looking forward to this, we haven't had sweet potatoes in a long time.  Here is all I do.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

  • Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Dice the sweet potatoes into 3/4-inch chunks.  Put on a cookie sheet.
  • Sprinkle with oil and salt, stir around to evenly distribute
  • Roast about 25 minutes, until tender.  

 Here is our menu plan for this week. We are using up the last of the white potatoes I got on sale, then moving on to sweet potatoes as a staple!

Monday-

  • Breakfast- Leftover pancakes, banana
  • Lunch-  sandwiches, crackers, blueberries
  • Dinner- Hot dogs, mac and cheese, peas and carrots

Tuesday-

  • Breakfast- Oatmeal, banana
  • Lunch- Ham and cream cheese roll ups, crackers, apple
  • Dinner- Potato soup and fried bologna sandwiches

Wednesday-

  • Breakfast- Egg, toast, blueberries
  • Lunch-  Microwave burritos, chips and salsa 
  •  Dinner- Chicken legs, roasted sweet potatoes, green beans

Thursday-

  • Breakfast- Oatmeal, banana
  • Lunch-  Leftovers, crackers, carrot and cucumber slices
  • Dinner- Pork with Sweet Potatoes, rice

Friday-

  • Breakfast- Eggs, toast, banana
  • Lunch- Ham and cream cheese roll ups, crackers, carrots and cucumber slices
  • Dinner-Vegetable soup (replacing white potatoes with sweet), grilled cheese sandwiches

Saturday-

Sunday-

 Have a good week!

~ Sarah

Comments