Meal Planning and trying something new, Brisket!

 Overhead photo of Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket

 This week I am trying a few new things before the kids go back to school. Back to school already! I can hardly believe it, the summer seemed to fly by. Actually, time since 2020 just seems to be passing strangely. I keep hearing people say "Oh, we haven't had that very long" etc. and I ask "Did you buy it during the pandemic? If not, then it's been at least a couple of years" and they look at me funny and go "Yeah, your right!" but you can still see them trying to work it out in their brain.  Maybe you haven't encountered this, but it seems to be prevalent here, haha.

  One of the new things I am going to cook is brisket! I have never cooked a brisket before, but they were on sale for $2.49 a pound and that was the cheapest beef I have seen in a long time. We don't eat much beef (except for hamburger) so I am excited to try it. I found a website that had great step by step instructions here so am going to try it this weekend. It is a cut of beef that has to be cooked a long time, so I am going to do it in my crockpot. Wish me luck!

   The other new things I am going to be trying include this Burrito Bake, but I am going to leave out the hamburger and use the lesser amount of cheese. I think it will work out pretty well.  I'm also going to use this Pizza Mac recipe as a spring board. It calls for the deluxe mac and cheese, but I read in the comments you can use the regular cheap boxes of mac and cheese, just adjust down the amount of sauce and tomatoes. I am also going to use about half of the shredded cheese it calls for. 

  Both of these recipes are great examples of a cooking concept that you can pretty much customize any way you want, as long as you follow the basic idea. I love these kinds of recipes because they have the flexibility to let me use what we have available.

 Did you see the good news for those using the SNAP program?!? The President has given the program a permanent raise. That will go along way to helping families deal with the current inflation and shrinkflation. I know lots of people have lots of differing opinions on these types of programs, but I am happy for those who are getting a little help.

Here is this week's menu plan, hope you have a great week!

Monday-

  • Breakfast- Eggs, toast, mandarin orange
  • Lunch- Leftover bean and tomato bake, bread and butter, grapes
  • Dinner- Pizza mac and cheese, deviled eggs, broccoli

Tuesday-

  • Breakfast- Cereal, banana
  • Lunch- Leftovers, grapes
  • Dinner- Breakfast for dinner

Wednesday-

  • Breakfast- Eggs, toast, mandarin orange
  • Lunch- Sandwiches, pretzels, carrots and celery
  • Dinner-  Burrito Bake, salad

Thursday-

  • Breakfast- Cereal, canned pears
  • Lunch- Chipped beef and cream cheese roll ups, pretzels, carrots and celery
  • Dinner- Spaghetti, garlic toast, green beans

Friday-

  • Breakfast- Fried eggs, toast, banana
  • Lunch- Sandwiches, crackers, grapes
  • Dinner- Salsa Chicken in tortillas, Spanish rice

Saturday-

Sunday-

  • Breakfast- Waffles, orange juice
  • Lunch-  Leftovers
  • Dinner-  Grilled cheese sandwiches, cole slaw, whatever fruit is left






 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments