Meal Planning Monday and Salsa Chicken

 clip art of food - Clip Art Library

 

  Every week, I sit down and figure out who has to be where, when, for every single person living in this house. That way, I know when I have time to shop, cook, do laundry, etc. I know which nights there will be 30 minutes from the time I walk in the door until the time we have to leave for boy scouts or something. I know which evenings I will have more time to maybe actually fix a real dinner. I know who will be picking people up, who will be home to eat, and who will need something to take with them. 

   With this schedule, I can then begin to plan what and when we are going to eat. I won't lie, the planning is work in itself, but it is such a relief to walk in the door and check the schedule and know I don't have to think of something. On days I am home longer, I can make meals that take a little more time or spend time getting things ready for the busy days. On days when I only have 30 minutes total to prepare a meal and for us to eat it, I have a plan for something quick so we don't have to go hungry or go through the drive-thru.

   This week I have two nights where I only have 30 minutes to come in the door, fix something for us to eat, eat it, and get out the door again. If you have access to a slow cooker, these are the perfect days for it. You start the meal in the morning, it cooks all day and is ready for you when you get home. All you have to do is eat it!

 There are tons of recipes for your slow cooker on the internet. The problem can be acquiring the slow cooker. I had been blessed with my first slow cooker as a gift. The second one was one I bought at a black Friday sale. I don't know what I would do without my slow cooker. We have even taken our slow cooker with us when we traveled to save money on eating out! If you can possibly get your hands on a slow cooker, it will change your life. You can use it at home, you can use it at a hotel, you can use it at a campsite, you might even be able to plug it in at work, then take it home with you to eat!

In this week's meal plan I am using two slow cooker meals- Salsa chicken and Slow cooker Buffalo Chicken

Meal planning is the secret to using your food dollars or SNAP benefits most efficiently. There are all kinds of ways to meal plan, experiment and find the right way for you!

 Salsa Chicken

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can also use boneless, skinless thighs if you can find them)
  • 16 ounce jar of cheapest salsa
  • 1/2 can of black beans
  1. Mix in slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. You can also cook this on the stove top in a pot with a lid or bake in the oven in a  greased casserole dish with a lid at 350 for 40 minutes.
  2. Shred chicken and serve over rice or in tortillas

Monday-

  • Breakfast- Cereal and toast, 1/2 a banana
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, Us sandwiches, pretzels, canned pineapple
  • Dinner- Potato soup, buttered toast (When making soup, cut up enough carrot and celery sticks for rest of the week)

Tuesday-

  • Breakfast- Toast and scrambled egg, canned pears
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, Us leftover soup and a sandwich, carrot sticks
  • Dinner- Sloppy Joes (made with half ground beef and half lentils), microwave baked potatoes, peas

Wednesday-

  • Breakfast- Cereal and toast, 1/2 a banana
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, Us leftover sloppy joes,pretzels, peas
  • Dinner- Salsa chicken to be eaten in tortillas, cheese stick, apples

Thursday-

  • Breakfast- Toast and scrambled eggs, whatever fruit we have left
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, Us leftover salsa chicken, veggie sticks
  • Dinner- Spaghetti and Meatballs, green beans

Friday-

  • Breakfast- Cereal and toast, whatever fruit we have left
  • Lunch- Kids at school, Us leftover spaghetti and green beans
  • Dinner- Buffalo chicken sandwiches , pretzels, carrots & celery with ranch dip

Saturday-

  • Breakfast- Pancakes and sausage, cooked apples
  • Lunch- Hot dogs, french fries, whatever fruit or vegetables we have left
  • Dinner-  Black bean burgers, chips, roasted frozen broccoli

Sunday-

Comments

  1. Not sure how I found your blog but I am really enjoying it. I like your meal planning using simple ingredients and getting meals on the table in a quick manner. I'm coming up with some new ideas for my family. Now on to read the rest of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks! Hope you find lots of useful info. Feel free to share any time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment