Monday Menu Planning and Schnitzel

Schnitzel Clipart And Illustrations

 

 This week Kroger had pork loin on sale for $1.69 a pound, so I bought enough to make a couple of meals this week, and I am looking forward to it. One of the meals is a pork roast with a spice rub from here except I use garlic powder instead of cloves of garlic. The other way I am going to use the pork loin is to slice it, pound it thin and make schnitzel. I love love love schnitzel, so I am looking forward to it. There is just something about it that makes my insides happy.

Schnitzel

  1.  Trim any big pieces of fat
  2. Pound pork chops thin. 
  3. Dredge in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
  4. Fry in shallow oil about 3 minutes per side. The meat cooks quickly, you are trying to get the color you want on the breading.
  5. Drain on paper towels

 For all of the talk on the news about how we shouldn't worry, the inflation is only temporary, it is still hurting at the grocery store. Being very intentional with our spending (making meal plans and lists), sacrificing the things we like that are not as nutritious (pop, chips) and making substitutions or changing how we eat all together are really the best tools in our tool shed.

 It is hard. When I am stressed, I don't really have the bandwidth to be trying new recipes with ingredients that I don't work with regularly. When I am stressed, I revert to those meals I can make blindfolded. So when we have to tighten up or are broke, I have to be very intentional to plan new things or things I don't fix often on my days off or less busy days and save my cheap, tried and true meals for busy, stressful days. Honestly, I really do get tired of how much work goes into feeding us. It just is never ending and why sometimes my menu plans look like just more of the same. 

The week between Christmas and New Years I didn't post a menu plan because we basically cleaned up all the leftovers we were given and then ate sandwiches. We used some Christmas money to spring for $5 Little Ceasers pizzas, which honestly was a really cheap way to feed us and get that "eat out" feel. Our Little Ceasers is fairly new so I hadn't thought about what an inexpensive treat it is, but I am filing that away for future reference for sure!

Here is this week's menu plan, we are continuing to cut back on our meat intake as prices have not come down at all

Monday-

  • Breakfast- Eggs, toast, banana
  • Lunch- Sandwiches, pretzels, carrot and celery sticks
  • Dinner- Mac and cheese, baked beans, peas

Tuesday-

  • Breakfast- Oatmeal, toast, banana
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, us-  Sandwiches, pretzels, apple
  • Dinner- Pork roast, Colcannon, carrots

Wednesday-

  • Breakfast- Peanut butter toast, banana
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, us- Sandwiches, pretzels, carrots and celery sticks
  • Dinner- Bean and cheese quesadillas, chips and salsa

Thursday-

  • Breakfast- cinnamon toast, eggs, banana
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, us- Thai inspired ramen noodles, cucumber slices
  • Dinner- Schnitzel, microwave baked potatoes, green beans

Friday-

  • Breakfast- Oatmeal, canned pears
  • Lunch- Kids eat at school, us- leftover baked potatoes, boiled egg, apple
  • Dinner- Bean soup, corn bread

Saturday-

  • Breakfast- Eggs, fried potatoes and onions
  • Lunch-  Bean soup, grilled cheese, fruit smoothies
  • Dinner- Pork fried rice with leftover pork loin, pineapple

Sunday-

Comments