Monday Meal Planning and Side Gigs

Dollar Sign Clipart png images ...

 A couple of weeks ago, I started working weekends at a museum. We have cut, cut, cut everything we possibly can from our budget, but it just isn’t enough. 

This, so far, has been very disruptive to our schedule and routines. Having two meals on the weekend works for everyone but me now. I leave too early to make a big brunch and get home just at dinner time. I think I’m going to have to go back to three meals on Saturdays so I can have something decent before going to work and my husband, who has no cooking skills, can produce a lunch. I think the increased cost is worth the income I’ll bring in. It’s been kind of chaotic, but we’ll figure out a new routine.

A lot of people are having to pick up side gigs. Some deliver papers, some work in restaurants, some drive for one of the aps. Sometimes there comes a point when we can’t cut anything else and we have to bring in extra money. It isn’t an admittance of failure. On the contrary, it doesn’t say anything about us personally at all. With food inflation at 24% since 2020 (usinflationcalculator.com) and everything else up too, it’s no wonder all the sudden ends aren’t meeting.

Hopefully my extra job won’t be forever, but it is nice to spend a little more on food, get our bills caught up and start rebuilding an emergency savings. It's going to take a while, but at least it's air conditioned in the summer!

I think the key to some success in keeping costs down, is to figure out how to keep feeding my family without resorting to fast food or a bunch of expensive convenience foods. I know this is a necessity for people at times, but I know I have the skills to do it, so I am going to try to limit it as much as I can so that when I do have to use these tactics, I don't feel guilty about it.  It also means that some people in our house are stepping up and learning some new skills, which is good! Growth is always good!

So I did some thinking. 

1.  I am going to have to up my crockpot game. Finding some recipes or meal ideas that are "dump and go" that anyone in my house can handle is going to be key.

2.  I need to come up with low cost easy meals that my family can make when I am not there.

3.  I need to have some frozen emergency meals for those inevitable days when things just don't work out so maybe I won't have to resort to take out. If I start buying take out all of the sudden, then my work hours contribute less to our other goals.

4.  Be gentle with myself and my family. I have been pretty much in charge of feeding our family, and now I am going to have to spread the love around.

5.  We are going to have to learn to be content with simple.

Do you have any tips to share to make the transition easier? I would love to hear from you!


This weekend I put a batch of Refried Beans in the crock pot. We'll use some along the way, but the main goal is to put some in the freezer so that my family can make burritos or quesadillas without me. A couple of people in my house feel confident making them, adding some fruit to make a pretty complete meal. Here is a link to some other Refried Bean Recipes.

The other thing I am going to try is a make ahead breakfast casserole, that I can assemble Friday night and then someone can start in the morning. That means if I am making two meals on Friday night, they both need to be easy so I actually accomplish this task without running out of energy! So I am going to try this Overnight Casserole substituting the real bacon bits you can find in a shelf stable package for the cooked crumbled bacon and frozen peppers. Honestly, I don't think it's going to add all that much cost to the final meal compared to the amount of work it will save me.

 Here is this week's menu plan, have a great week!

Monday-

  • Breakfast- Leftover pancakes, banana
  • Lunch- sandwiches, boiled egg, crackers, canned peaches
  • Dinner- Cheesy Pinto Beans from the big batch of beans in the crockpot, rice, corn

Tuesday-

  • Breakfast- Peanut butter and jelly toast, apple slices
  • Lunch- Ham and cheese roll ups, crackers, canned peaches
  • Dinner- Black Bean burgers, green beans, deviled eggs, biscuits

Wednesday-

Thursday-

  • Breakfast- Cinnamon Toast, banana
  • Lunch- Leftovers, boiled egg, apple
  • Dinner- Roasted Chicken Legs, macaroni salad, corn

Friday-

  • Breakfast-  Eggs, toast, apple slices
  • Lunch-  sandwiches, crackers, canned pineapple 
  • Dinner-  Chili Hot dogs, leftover pasta salad, baked beans * assemble Overnight Breakfast Casserole

Saturday-

Sunday-

 Have a good week!

~ Sarah






Comments